[ardour-dev] feature request; Monitoring Instrument Audio while Recording its MIDI Note Data

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 10:25:08 PDT 2007

In general I think I agree but I would suggest a possible take a look
at Rosegarden, over even a conversation with Chris, might be in order.
They went through this about 3-4 years ago. There are a LOT of studio
level issues about how MIDI hardware is hooked up, whether you are
using external MIDI routers, whether your MIDI network has potential
loops, whether the MIDI keyboard is the MIDI sound source and where in
that network your sequencer is sitting, whether there is less audio
latency doing it one way or the other, and many more. All of these
combined together drive where you want to break loops.

Keep in mind that if you were using a MIDI processor LADSPA plugin to
modify things like velocity in real-time then you might have to use
the output from your sequencer.

It's not always easy to guess which is best. My experience suggests
things are sometimes different for MIDI keyboards vs. MIDI drums, etc.

Best to provide LOTS of flexibility in this area and let the studio
decide how to make it work best with their hardware. (IMO)

- Mark

P.S. - Ron, I cannot say how many times I've thought about you over
the last 6-8 months and wondered how you were doing. While I suspected
you were lurking on the IRC it's great to see you post here! - MWK