[ardour-dev] quick note re: MTC

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Tue Jan 2 11:28:01 PST 2007

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 02:04:55PM -0500, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> Hijack: a friend of mine wants to use a 5.1 DVD to do some halloween
> effects, and I was wondering if it was possible to combine stereo and
> 5.1 panning with manually assigned mono sounds: his 5 speakers won't be
> in the traditional positioning, obviously.

Yes, it's possible to combine panning with direct assignment, but the
latter will emphasize the speakers as being the source of the sound
rather than create a sound stage in which the speakers 'disappear'.
One of the results of the Ambisonics based panning is that it will
never use just a single speaker, not even if the direction of the
sound corresponds to a speaker position, in order to avoid this
speaker emphasis effect. But you can still assign channels to the
5.1 signals after the decoder of course, for example movie dialogue
to the center speaker.

Panning stereo to surround is possible as long as you don't try to
make it much wider than about 60 degrees. More will produce a 'hole
in the middle'. Except with rather sophisticated processing there is
little that can be done about this.

But for halloween effects I'd guess anything goes...

--
FA

Lascia la spina, cogli la rosa.