[ardour-dev] quick note re: MTC

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Jan 2 11:04:55 PST 2007

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 04:55:30PM +0100, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> I have for a long time considered replacing the (rather useless)
> multi-channel panner by a second-order ambisonic one. The result
> can then be used directly for Ambisonic rendering, or decoded to
> ITU 5.0 (the .1 channel is handled separately) by a plugin in the
> master strip. This is actually the _best_ way to pan for ITU 5.0
> - the combination of a 2nd order Ambisonic panning and a dual
> frequency band AMB -> ITU decoder is equivalent to the optimal
> frequency-dependent panner which would be difficult to realize
> in any other way (and much too complex to be included in each
> mixer strip). Such panning gives a much better surround image
> than just dividing the signal between the two nearest speakers.
> Sure, the current multichannel panner also uses all speakers,
> but in a way that doesn't make any sense in psycho-acoustic
> terms.

Hijack: a friend of mine wants to use a 5.1 DVD to do some halloween
effects, and I was wondering if it was possible to combine stereo and
5.1 panning with manually assigned mono sounds: his 5 speakers won't be
in the traditional positioning, obviously.

I don't need right now to know how, just whether.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra