[ardour-dev] Just saying 'Hello'

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Oct 31 04:13:32 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 08:54 +0000, John Emmas wrote:
> I just signed up for the Ardour project a few days ago.  After posting a
> couple of things on the forum I discovered the developers mailing list
> so I thought I'd pop by & say hello.
>
> I'm still finding my feet and I must admit I'm a bit puzzled by the mailing
> list.  Is there a way to view "current" threads, apart from looking in the
> archives?  All these mailing lists seem to work slightly differently.  Some
> of them have a 'live' list where you can quickly see the currently active
> threads and some don't.  How does the Ardour mailing list work?
> Archives & emails only?  Or archives, emails and a live list?

we don't use the email lists for much development related communication
any more. as i mentioned on the forum, we do almost everything via IRC,
which is real-time, immediate and invites discussion. there is arguably
some loss from this, but the overall benefit has been good. we certainly
do not try to use the mailing lists like a web forum, which i know tends
to be common in some more windows-facing communities.

> Also, I'm based in the UK and I wondered if there are any other active
> developers in the UK?

no "active" developers, but quite a few early testers and of course my
employer (Solid State Logic) is based in Oxford.