[ardour-dev] Just saying 'Hello'

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Tue Oct 31 05:18:30 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 07:13 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 08:54 +0000, John Emmas wrote:
> > I just signed up for the Ardour project a few days ago.  After posting a
> > couple of things on the forum I discovered the developers mailing list
> > so I thought I'd pop by & say hello.
> >
> > I'm still finding my feet and I must admit I'm a bit puzzled by the mailing
> > list.  Is there a way to view "current" threads, apart from looking in the
> > archives?  All these mailing lists seem to work slightly differently.  Some
> > of them have a 'live' list where you can quickly see the currently active
> > threads and some don't.  How does the Ardour mailing list work?
> > Archives & emails only?  Or archives, emails and a live list?
>
> we don't use the email lists for much development related communication
> any more. as i mentioned on the forum, we do almost everything via IRC,
> which is real-time, immediate and invites discussion. there is arguably
> some loss from this, but the overall benefit has been good. we certainly
> do not try to use the mailing lists like a web forum, which i know tends
> to be common in some more windows-facing communities.
>
> > Also, I'm based in the UK and I wondered if there are any other active
> > developers in the UK?
>
> no "active" developers, but quite a few early testers and of course my
> employer (Solid State Logic) is based in Oxford.

    What about Steve Harris?

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69

arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chardonnay in one hand, chocolate in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride'"