[ardour-dev] Keep crashing with Ardour2

Mr Machine forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Wed Mar 29 17:07:08 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 11:38 +0200, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 00:02:16 +1100
> Mr Machine <forums at machinehasnoagenda.com> wrote:
>
> > i got a bit of help from the irc channel on how to use gdb with ardour,
> > but of course it won't crash when i run my debug-build of ardour (i
> > thought it might pop out a core file, but no). running ardour from the
> > command line, the most it will tell me is: user defined signal 2.
>
> SIGUSR2 is sent to apps by an -rt kernel if they requested user enabled
> latency tracing. You probably have compiled jackd with
> --enable-preemption-check which turns on user enabled latency tracing
> around each app's proces callback().

wow, i believe you are correct! i recompiled without the
preemption-check, and i was just able to record my vocal track without
ardour crashing!!! thankyou very much!

> If you don't fully understand what that does, i'd recommend you to turn
> it off.

no, i guess i didn't really understand - i thought it was just an option
for the configuration process to check if you actually had a realtime
preemptible kernel ... d'oh!

i'm pretty sure you've nailed it, though, but i'll just do a bit more
recording to make sure ;)

thanx

shayne