[ardour-dev] Keep crashing with Ardour2

Peder Hedlund peder at musikhuset.org
Tue Mar 28 06:39:34 PST 2006

> for the past couple of days, recording in ardour has been next to
> impossible:
>
> i've got a song with about 10 tracks, no effects, and a length
> approaching four minutes. i'm trying to record the final vocal track,
> but each time i stop recording, ardour crashes and loses what i've
> done :(
> then i remembered that i'd updated my kernel to 2.6.16-rt7 recently, so
> i checked dmesg after a crash, and i'm thinking this might be the
> culprit:
>
> hdc: DMA timeout retry
> hdc: timeout waiting for DMA
> hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> hdc: ATAPI reset complete
> ardour:9320 userspace BUG: scheduling in user-atomic context!

 It looks like the kernel is doing something weird. Prehaps triggered
 by ardour or possibly a HD on the verge of breaking.

 Try booting your old kernel and see if that doesn't solve the problem
 or try updating to rt10, incase there's a bug in rt7.
 Note that the rt-patches are somewhat experimental and might not
 be entirely stable at all times.

 - Peder