[ardour-dev] ultra-preliminary alpha ardour2 tarball release available

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Jan 12 07:45:59 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 15:23 +0000, Chris Ross wrote:

> Paul Davis escreveu:
> > it sounds to me as though you have never run ardour before. in which
> > case, i strongly recommend that you avoid testing ardour2.
>
> I think you could have been perhaps a little less rude, but I assume
> that's just how it looks in email and not take it personally. For
> context: I've been using Ardour since at least 2003 (the earliest email
> I spotted at a quick glance) and I'm listed in both the CONTRIBUTORS and
> the TRANSLATORS file of the very alpha ardour2 tarball we're talking
> about. Anyway...

That's what I sort of recalled, which is why I was puzzled. I'm in the
middle of a work crunch, I should perhaps have not replied at all.

> > ardour will never complain about not being able to connect to JACK
> > unless:
>
> I had already said JACK really wasn't running, I was logged from several
> miles away and there was someone else on the console at the time.

Right, but ardour will start JACK itself if it is not running, so in
fact whether JACK is running or not isn't an explanation for the
message.

> Well, Ardour 1 doesn't segfault if JACK isn't running. That's different.

Ardour2 doesn't do that here, so it is a useful data point. Sorry if I
was rude.