[ardour-dev] Live Mixdown

Urbansound urbansound at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 12 06:03:51 PST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Davis" <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>
To: "Urbansound" <urbansound at sbcglobal.net>
Cc: <ardour-dev at lists.ardour.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 8:58 AM
Subject: Re: [ardour-dev] Live Mixdown

>> Thanks again Wolfgang, this post will close now, regarding the VNC
>> question.
>>
>   [ ... ]
>> But this has cleared up the confusion on the discussion for me, regarding
>> the absence of gain available to the VNC.   If the hardware provides
>> remote
>> gain and Ardour can locate it, the VNC would also have access to remotely
>> trim gain, otherwise, it's done locally with screwdriver like the good
>> old
>> days. ;-)
>
> I repeat what another poster said: why on *earth* are you talking about
> VNC? Ardour can be run with its display on another machine without VNC.
> VNC is technology to provide remote control to an entire desktop via a
> hack. X Window is a technology to separate the display from the
> computational engine and is absolutely not a hack. Forget VNC. FreeNX,
> which is vaguely X related, is definitely worth looking at, but its
> benefits would not really be apparent in this situation, i think.
>
> I repeat, and will keep repeating, forget VNC, just use X the way it was
> intended to be used.
>
> --p

Good point and thank you Paul.  I think we kind of drifted off into the
theoretical "so what" domain.  Yes I run an X server on my linux
application, across at least 3 terminals and asside from some crappy
artifacts on rare occassion, it's darn reliable.  I use VNC on my windows
machines and it sucks.   The term VNC was being used generically to explain
the remoting as the topic digressed and got split.

We're beat to death on this dead horse, given your very accurate last bullet
and again I thank you that X windows will be the appropriate remote
application and if gain settings are available to Ardour, per the
configuration, the remote stations would access that setting, like any
other.

Let me not waste any more Devel realestate on this and again, thank you Paul
for that bump.

Mike