[ardour-dev] Freeze function

Stephen West stephenwest1 at lineone.net
Thu Apr 6 14:14:02 PDT 2006

>> There is just a GVerb effect added. Before freeze the track

>> plays perfectly but when I freeze it there

>> is lots of distortion that sound like clipping. When I

>> unfreeze it again, it goes back to normal.

>> If I remove the GVerb and then freeze, then the track is

>> undistorted. I've tried this in Alpha2 and 0.99-2

>> and it happens in both.

>Doesn't happen with ardour 0.99 (built using 1.0.0 with

>libardour 0.901.2 and GCC version 3.3.1 (SuSE Linux) and

>gverb_1216.so from swh-plugins-0.4.13, freeze/unfreeze work

>fine.

>--

>Wolfgang
Thanks for your reply.
It doesn't happen with every session, and sometimes it doesn't happen with
every plug-in but with my session it is a problem.
I can show a way of demonstrating if you like? If you create a session and
add this wav file to the beginning:
www.aalighting.co.uk/dinner_gong.wav
Now apply the effect 'Higher Quality Pitch Scaler' to the track, which I
think is a default plug-in, and enable it
(for some reason it doesn't happen with GVerb this time).
If you play without its being frozen it is undistorted, but freeze it and
you can see clipping has occurred in the track,
and you can hear clipping in the playback. At least it does for me in the
cvs from a few days ago in Ardour and Ardour2.
Thanks,
Stephen