[ardour-dev] [ardour-users] feature idea: draggable measure lines

Paul Symons ardour at iove.org
Thu Apr 6 09:03:31 PDT 2006

> Just wondering if this would be useful to anybody else...
>
> <!-- snip -->
>
> Anybody else tried working like this?  Any thoughts on the idea?

An interesting position to be in, and one that I find myself in too.

At the back of my mind I keep thinking of Beat-Detective from pro-tools.

Maybe a better interim solution would be something that analysed a track
and "guestimated" tempo changes? for example, something like this:

1. select a track to analyse (i.e. a drum track)
2. set an approximate tempo marker at all major tempo change points 3.
code analyses track based on current "guess" tempo (i.e. what the current
tempo marker value is)

i suppose the code would read through the sample; if an expected sound
event (e.g. a kick drum, but in reality perhaps any sound level above the
average output of the track or something) did not occur within a certain
margin of time before or after the expected time since the last event
(i.e. perhaps a function of time passed divided by the bpm?), then a tempo
marker could be placed at the previous event to say the tempo had changed.

much of that is probably wrong in terms of calculations, but hopefully you
get the concept.

Paul