[ardour-dev] ardour2: LinuxSampler

fons adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Fri Nov 11 09:36:21 PST 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 08:20:25AM -0800, Mike Taht wrote:

> > there isn't, and it really would never work that way. linuxsampler is an
> > independent JACK client that would have its own GUI. it would never run
> > inside of ardour.
>
> I guess I should clarify. Yes, linuxsampler is a separate jack client. But
> linuxsampler comes with a gui front end (qsampler) that A) takes up a lot of
> screen area and B) doesn't do a whole lot (and eats 110MB of memory to do
> it)

That's typical of Qt apps ;-)

> and C) comes with an abstraction library and protocol (the linuxsampler
> control protocol).

So there's nothing that stops you from writing you own (smaller) GUI to
Linuxsampler. But why should it be part of Ardour ? What's wrong with a
(small) separate window ?

Depending on what you do with Linuxsampler, you don't need a GUI at all.

I use it like this:

linuxsampler &
netcat localhost 8888 < malmsjo.lscp

where the file malmsjo.lscp contains:

ADD CHANNEL
SET CHANNEL AUDIO_OUTPUT_TYPE 0 JACK
SET CHANNEL MIDI_INPUT_TYPE 0 Alsa
SET CHANNEL MIDI_INPUT_PORT 0 0
SET CHANNEL MIDI_INPUT_CHANNEL 0 0
LOAD ENGINE GigEngine 0
LOAD INSTRUMENT NON_MODAL '/data2/gigwav/Malmsjo.gig' 0 0
SET CHANNEL VOLUME 0 0.85

It's a great app, BTW. After some years without instrument, being able to
play the piano at any hour in the night (with headphones) is just heaven.

--
FA