[ardour-dev] Re: Beta 28 from CVS mtc??

Geoff Beasley songshop at bizmedia.com.au
Tue Mar 29 03:01:04 PST 2005

Per Sigmond wrote:

>Just wandering: What latency are you using (jack)?

I've got 3 machines in the studio. Two are involved in chase-locking
...master > slave. I have click set "on" on  both and listened to the
result. Under Audioslack/Slackware 10 (2.4.29ll) Ardour beta 28 with
your MTC patch installed Per I got fantastic chaselock...much better
than Windows gives on the same hardware.
But, Audioslack was falling a bit  behind with developments so I tried
CCRMA/FC3. With 2.6.ll edge kernel I've got the lowest latency I have
EVER seen. I was recording 14 tracks in Ardour at 16 (read it again)
frame buffers and was getting only occasional x-runs....thats .7 ms on
my ice1712 card -C-Port!!!!!

I can record this many tracks on 32 frame buffers with no x-runs at all.
Amazing. Now, I don't want to change anything as you can
understand.....but I do want to get MTC working as well under 2.6 kernel
as I can under 2.4. Makes me think, is there any chance of making a 2.4
kernel available for FC3 Nando? Could you use the FC1 2.4 under FC3 ?
See, I'm not too clued up when it comes to technical matters am I ??

Thanks for the reply Per, and I look forward to your next MTC update.

Best,
Geoff.