[ardour-dev] plugin presets

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Jun 5 14:07:14 PDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 06:43:59 +0200, fons adriaensen wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 07:01:25PM +0300, Sampo Savolainen wrote:
>
> > What if the plugin gets a new parameter?
>
> If desired adding parameters can be supported by using something
> like name=value. But it's probably safer to say it's a new plugin
> in that case.

LADSPA says they get new IDs, but the LADSPA IS system is pretty useless.

> > Or turn this the other way around: why would ardour use a
> > "proprietary" / ardour specific format instead of something that is
> > standardized. Also, software for reading this file is readily available:
> > liblrdf.
>
> Because the standardized thing is bloated, unreadable, uneditable, and
> does not add anything useful. I'd gladly accept something standardized,
> if only it would makes sense.

"Sense" is a matter of opinion and perspective.

> Would another application using plugins be able to use the .n3 file
> without any a-priori knowledge ? If not then it's still ardour-specific.

Theres load of code that can read .n3 files, and once youve parsed it its
just a case of reading the data. I dont see how you can require any less
a-priori knowledge that that.

> But this is not the place to start an pro/contra XML war.

XML? N3 is an ASCII format.

- Steve