[ardour-dev] latest CVS commit

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 05:03:37 PST 2005

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 14:41:32 +0200, Sampo Savolainen <v2 at iki.fi> wrote:

> Because of this I've been trying (emphasis on trying) to make ardour use
> proper canonicalization for the pathnames.
>
>  (canonicalization means converting relative paths to absolute paths.
>  for example "../foo/bar/../gack" -> "/home/user/foo/gack" )

Hi Sampo,
   How will the real world situation of needing to move my session to
a different audio drive be effected by the use of canonical pathnames?
I.e. - I do a session on my audio drive (/mnt/audio1/Ardour/XXX) but
move it to a backup drive to make room for other work.
(/mnt/audio2/Ardour-Backup/XXX) I then want to open the session just
to look at it. I need the session to open and find all it's files
while sitting on the audio backup drive. Can you support this?

   It's perfectly OK, and probably preferable, for Ardour to do what
Pro Tools does in this situation. PT finds all the files in it's new
location and then pops a box up saying something like 'The location of
files has changed since the last use of this session. Please verify
that the files are correct.' It then shows you a list of major
directories and file names that have changed. (Not all files will
change if you are using a audio library.) You say OK and everything
works. I would suppose that the canonical names are being rewritten at
that time, assuming they did what you are trying to do.

Thanks,
Mark