[ardour-dev] latest CVS commit

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Sun Feb 20 04:41:32 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 15:29 -0500, Joe Hartley wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:46:02 -0600
> Jan Depner <eviltwin69 at cableone.net> wrote:
> >     I can't seem to create a new session with the latest CVS.  When I
> > try New I keep getting this message:
> >
> > [ERROR]: Session "/data3/ardour_data/fred (snapshot fred)" did not load
> > successfully
>
> Same behavior here with the new CVS :(

Sorry everyone. This one is my fault. The pathname resolution in ardour
has been a bit lacking. It hasn't been able to handle relative paths
very well and it had some other serious problems (I had a test case
where ardour removed a character from a directory name thus failing to
open the session).

Because of this I've been trying (emphasis on trying) to make ardour use
proper canonicalization for the pathnames.

 (canonicalization means converting relative paths to absolute paths.
 for example "../foo/bar/../gack" -> "/home/user/foo/gack" )

The problem is that in my 1st try (in your CVS version), I used a
function called canonicalize_file_name() which I only later found out
that fails for non existant paths. This of course is not a good thing
for creating sessions.

In short: A classic example of what happens when code is not tested
enough.

I've attached a patch which converts canonicalize_file_name() to
realpath() (which is also a standard function unlike
canonicalize_file_name(), so it should work on OSX too).

I'll be hanging around #ardour from now until we get this fixed. If you
can, please test this patch and report any problems to me.

 (to patch: patch -p0 < realpath.patch)

Sorry for the hassle, I hope a fix for this gets committed soon so we
(meaning I) can forget about this embarrassing incident. :)

--
Sampo Savolainen <v2 at iki.fi>