[ardour-dev] I would like to implement a feature in ardour

Tommi Sakari Uimonen tuimonen at cc.hut.fi
Fri Dec 9 00:53:01 PST 2005

Hello. I don't know all the answers, but I'll try to answer to the easy
ones.

> concrete: Who decides, if my idea is in line with the concept of ardour,
> if I am "allowed" to implement it, if the implementation fulfills the
> quality requirements, ...

You are already allowed to implement it, but wheter it will be included in
CVS, is another question. It's up to the current maintainers.

> What is the best way to start programming ardour?

Try to change some existing functionality. I your case, try the export
functionality and try to make small changes and see whether they work as
expected.

> Do I need to use a certain IDE or may I just use my favorite one?

Your favourite, but if I remember correct, before you send patches, they
should follow the coding guidelines which I don't quite remember now.
There was a post about the coding guidelines maybe a year ago or
something, so if you can search archives you could find it. I think it was
Paul that gave them (if it helps to limit the search)

> Who can give me access to the CVS repository?

Currently the anonymous CVS is closed, due to user rights problem (all
users will get also writing permissions and the core developers just can't
let that happen)
I think it's better to just experiment with current release. But you have
to wait for the gtk2 transition to complete, before you get access to the
current branch. And I suppose there is no reason to send patches against
the current release, better wait, and then patch against 2.0

> Are there any coding guidelines?

See above

> Based on which version should I start developing? Should I branch or
> should I just use CVS head?

See above

> How do I have to set up my development environment?

You need a bunch of development libraries. How you install them, depends
on your distribution. On debian stable, installing libardour0-dev should
be enough.

> Is there anything else, I should know?
> Is there some documentation that could help me?

http://ardour.org/building.php

Tommi