[ardour-dev] Mono switch

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 16:52:12 PDT 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 12:55 PM, philicorda <philicorda at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 10:35 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> >
> >    I look forward to hearing what other folks do.
>
> In ardour at the moment I pan the masters central. If I need to hear
> mono with one side inverted I use a pair of mono busses and send the
> masters to them. (Hence my confused mantis bug report. :)

I didn't think to look at Mantis. I'll go see what you wrote. Thanks.

> What would really be useful to me would be to have the ability to hear..
> mono
> mono with one side phase reversed.
> stereo
>
> I find it very very handy to swap between mono and mono with one side
> inverted. It makes it really obvious when there is a phase problem with
> a stereo pair of mics, and helps if it's not really a straightforward
> right or wrong, and you have to just pick what sounds best.

Can't tell you how many times I've run into a bad mic cable. It does happen.

> In cubase SX I have to set up a fairly complex series of busses and
> 'tools-1' phase plugins to do this, as the routing is not as versatile
> as Ardour's. (No subgroup can output to a lower numbered subgroup,
> adding a new group with a lower position on the 'desk' than an existing
> group makes it screw up all the previous subgroups routing, there is no
> such thing as a mono subgroup, you cannot pan l and r seperately. I paid
> *how much* for this???)

Well, probably not as much as I've dumped into PTLE, but no matter,
it's painful.

Ardour's routing is magnificent.

> Perhaps a 'monoizer'+ one side phase inverter could be made as a LADSPA
> plugin?

IIRC a number of multi-channel external pre's now come with phase
inversion on some inputs. Having a simple plugin that did the same
thing without messing up latency would be a nice add. Good idea.

- Mark