[ardour-dev] Mono switch

philicorda philicorda at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 8 12:55:24 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 10:35 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2005 9:32 AM, gerard van dongen <gml at xs4all.nl> wrote:
<about mono switches>
>    I grabbed an older headphone amp that I had been intendign to get
> out. Turns out it has mono switches all over the place, so at least
> while using headphones I can do this very easily. That will suffuce
> for now. However the D/A I was going to buy doesn't have a mono
> switch, nor would I want it to, so this will be a bit of an issue down
> the road.
>
>    I look forward to hearing what other folks do.

In ardour at the moment I pan the masters central. If I need to hear
mono with one side inverted I use a pair of mono busses and send the
masters to them. (Hence my confused mantis bug report. :)

What would really be useful to me would be to have the ability to hear..
mono
mono with one side phase reversed.
stereo

I find it very very handy to swap between mono and mono with one side
inverted. It makes it really obvious when there is a phase problem with
a stereo pair of mics, and helps if it's not really a straightforward
right or wrong, and you have to just pick what sounds best.

In cubase SX I have to set up a fairly complex series of busses and
'tools-1' phase plugins to do this, as the routing is not as versatile
as Ardour's. (No subgroup can output to a lower numbered subgroup,
adding a new group with a lower position on the 'desk' than an existing
group makes it screw up all the previous subgroups routing, there is no
such thing as a mono subgroup, you cannot pan l and r seperately. I paid
*how much* for this???)

Perhaps a 'monoizer'+ one side phase inverter could be made as a LADSPA
plugin?