[ardour-dev] "out of disk space" problems with beta19

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Fri Oct 22 09:25:54 PDT 2004

Jesse Chappell <jesse at essej.net> writes:

> I believe that ardour should err on the side of opening a session,
> instead of failing to open it.  If we can instead log the problems
> we had, and open the session in spite of those problems (and create
> a special backup that can be later used for reconstruction maybe),
> I think users would be much happier.

> Obviously, normal operation of ardour (non-crashing, and even
> crashing) should not render the session corrupted in the first
> place, but that is an ongoing debugging task.

Of course, ardour should carefully avoid creating corrupted files on
disk.  But, even a "bug-free" ardour will sometimes have to deal with
corrupted input due to things like disk failures, file system
problems, backup/restore glitches, or operator error.

Ardour should always open the session if there is any possible way.
If it has to delete stuff in order to succeed, user confirmation would
be appropriate.
--
  joq