[ardour-dev] "out of disk space" problems with beta19

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Fri Oct 22 07:21:40 PDT 2004

Jack O'Quin wrote on Thu, 21-Oct-2004:

 > Please understand that editing the session file is not a matter of
 > "bravery", but desperation.  When ardour refuses to open a session,
 > from the end-user perspective everything has been lost.  The fact that
 > most of the bits are still on the disk somewhere is useless without a
 > way out of that dilemma.  Some users are going to panic if this
 > happens to them in the middle of a recording session.

I believe that ardour should err on the side of opening a session,
instead of failing to open it.  If we can instead log the problems
we had, and open the session in spite of those problems (and create
a special backup that can be later used for reconstruction maybe),
I think users would be much happier.

Obviously, normal operation of ardour (non-crashing, and even
crashing) should not render the session corrupted in the first
place, but that is an ongoing debugging task.

jlc