[ardour-dev] deep design question: help requested (rapidly)

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Tue May 18 14:06:37 PDT 2004

Are regions and their derivitives also playlists?
Hmmm, not exactly because a playlist includes
additional information; gain, pan, etc.

Reguardless:
* derivitives should append an extension to the
original name
* names should be user definiable
* names in the region view should be those that are
seen in the track playlist

User definable playlist names are very important. If
I'm not mistaken, this feature was requested prior to
the feature freeze. :) If you consider a session that
has 32 tracks and each track has 3 playlists we have
96 playlists. All playlists are seen in every track.
It insn't reasonable to sort through all the names to
find what's wanted.

I'm not certain that region and playlist names should
be the same. Can there be regions that don't have a
playlist? I suspect not, actually, yes there can
be--imported regions are an example. Even if yes, once
the region is dropped onto a track it must have a
playlist. In this case, regions should have default or
user defined names and they should dictate playlist
names.

Then again, if a playlist name is changed that event
should change the name of a region. Good grief, what
am getting at. :)

Anyway, that's some quick thoughts on a topic that
deserves much better attention. Sorry. I'm in the
middle of rebuilding everything and thought I'd take a
quick break.

ron