[ardour-dev] On performance issues with GTK

Carl Seleborg carl.seleborg at ifrance.com
Wed May 19 05:20:22 PDT 2004

Hi all,

This question is not specifically Ardour-oriented, so I apologize if
it's too off-topic. I just thought I'd ask here, since I know some of
you have become experts in the field by now.

What's the performance risk when using multiple windows in a GTK-based
application (gtkmm, actually) running real-time audio? I mean, is there
a long interrupt when the user switches from one window to another? Is
there a good reason to keep the number of windows down to a minimum?
What if all GUI handling is done in a separate thread? Are there things
to avoid doing in a GUI when doing real-time audio?

Thanks in advance to those who can provide me with some info on the
topic. And thanks to the rest of you who actively contribute to Ardour.

Cheers.

Carl