[ardour-dev] cvs commit

Ross Vandegrift ross at willow.seitz.com
Tue May 11 07:55:05 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 10:36:13PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> one of the things to be done pre-1.0 is to add versioning to session
> files. once this is done, no numbered session file will ever be
> considered "invalid" - we will use a different code path to load it.
> and any numbered version will be valid - it will have been produced by
> ardour. if the user edited it by hand and messed it up - well, i am
> sorry but it will take a stronger person than me to add sufficient
> checks the tangled and convoluted loading pathway that ensure this
> will always be ok.

This sounds like a good plan to me.  I can understand Jack's concerns
about input, but it's really common for software to fail on a really
messed up save file.  I think once you hit the point where a session
file isn't recognizable, you're totally correct in not being able to
load it.

> however, at this time, i consider all "older" sessions (file formats)
> to be irrelevant, though with the heavy heart that comes from
> understanding the burden this places on beta testers.

I also think that this is a good move.  Until something called "stable"
is released you shouldn't have to be tied to a specific format.  This
has happened twice to me, but in both cases, there were simple scripts
availble that fixed older session files.  Witness how many times the
on-disk format for ReiserFS changes in a development cycle for a
comparison.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at willow.seitz.com

A Pope has a Water Cannon.                               It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it.                        It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it.                                 It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it.          It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced.                It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official.       It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive.                                       He shoots them.