[ardour-dev] Two jack servers? (One internal to Ardour)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 15:25:35 PST 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:23:22 -0000 (WET), Rui Nuno Capela
<rncbc at rncbc.org> wrote:
> Mark Knecht writes:

> >> Good idea.  Maybe Rui could give QJC an option to ignore connections
> >> from a client to itself.
> >
> > I copied Rui on the first message thinking that this would be the
> > simplest solution. I'm not sure what the right answer is. Maybe there
> > are some internal connections you want to see, but I think most you
> > don't want. Maybe some button to display/hide connections from an app
> > to itself would give people the most flexibility.
> >

> Hi,
>
> This is being planned. Along with new audio meter and MIDI event
> monitoring features, which imply that qjackctl will be itself present as
> yes another connecting client, I was planning to add the option to
> show/hide itself from the connections list. I guess this option may be
> extendeded to any other arbitrary client.
>
> Now accepting UI suggestions/ideas on how to implement just that :)
>
> Cheers.

Rui,
   For what I'm seeing here I think that I would most like a mode that
only showed connections between separate Jack clients. This should
catch all the I/O hookups to my sound cards and the connections
between Jack clients.

   Beyond that there could be a button that turned everything on, and
maybe a persistent list that said to not show internal connections
within Jack apps by name, so that, for instance, I could tell QJC
don't show me anything inside of Ardour, but still allow it to show me
internal connections in other Jack apps.

   Maybe just a checklist with app names, and then a way to turn them
on and off as required. Each user would make his own checklist
depending on the apps he/she uses.

Thanks much,
Mark