[Ardour-Users] Ardour as a midi timecode slave

robertlazarski robertlazarski at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 16:16:19 PDT 2021

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 9:47 AM Chris Caudle <6807.chris at pop.powweb.com>
wrote:

> On 2021-04-19 12:51, robertlazarski wrote:
> > I have an idea for using Ardour to skip the need for overdubs by
> > triggering it
> > during the performance for sample playback and short midi sequences.
>
> Something like Linux Show Player might be better for single shot sample
> playback:
> https://www.linux-show-player.org/
>
> I'm not sure that it can sync to timecode though, you might have to send
> MIDI trigger messages.  But something like that which is made for
> sequencing sound cues for theater might be closer to what you are
> looking for.
>
> --
> Chris Caudle

Thanks for the link. I looked at the code and docs. I couldn't easily
figure out if it can slave over midi. I need automation during recording
i.e. no UI. To be honest I am more comfortable with C/C++ instead of
Python.

I did however stumble across ltctrigger. It does exactly what I imagined I
needed in my first post in this thread via C system calls:

"
[linux-fesf(robert)]
 /home/robert> cat jt.conf
01:22:58:00  /usr/bin/mplayer /home/robert/star.mp4
[linux-fesf(robert)]
 /home/robert> /usr/local/bin/jltctrigger -vF jt.conf
Parsing 'jt.conf'.. 1 entries.
#1 @7978.00 '/usr/bin/mplayer /home/robert/star.mp4'
Cannot lock down 86611866 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
Warning: Can not lock memory.
Cannot use real-time scheduling (RR/5)(1: Operation not permitted)
JackClient::AcquireSelfRealTime error
# running /usr/bin/mplayer /home/robert/star.mp4
MPlayer 1.2.r38008-Packman-7 (C) 2000-2017 MPlayer Team
do_connect: could not connect to socket
connect: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control.

Playing /home/robert/star.mp4.
 "

Two questions:

1) Staying on topic, can I execute ardour stop / play commands with system
calls? Just curious what I can do.

2) Via a jltctrigger system call I need to send midi start / stop with midi
clock to an external sequencer that doesn't support MTC or MMC (Genoqs
Octopus). Google isn't showing much that is recent. Can you recommend the
right tool for the job?

Thanks!
Robert