[Ardour-Users] Crash with Calf plugins after OS upgrade

James Harkins jamshark70 at zoho.com
Fri Mar 1 22:40:41 PST 2019

Hi,

I'm a non-terribly-frequent user of Ardour. (I do most of my work in SuperCollider, and import audio files into Ardour for mixing and quasi-mastering.)

About a year ago, I downloaded and paid for Ardour 5.12.0, using it at that time under Ubuntu Studio 16.04.

A few weeks ago, I upgraded the OS to 18.04 (using the upgrade tool -- not doing a fresh installation). That's been working very, very well.

But today, I opened Ardour and found that Calf LV2 plugins always crash Ardour. (OK, I didn't try them all, but both Compressor and 8-band EQ have the same problem -- so I'm going to guess that all of them are affected.) I also tried disabling "automatically open GUI" and it didn't help.

I would really like to get the Calf plug-ins working again. Especially for EQ and compression, a proper display is extremely helpful.

So... what is my next step? Upgrade Ardour? Upgrade the plug-ins?

Ardour 5.12.0
Calf plugins 0.0.60-5
Calf LADSPA plugins 1.1.3-7 (these don't crash Ardour, but the GUI is... should I say... primitive)

TIA,
hjh