[Ardour-Users] Noise when downloading files

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Feb 5 02:15:07 PST 2019

jonetsu <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> writes:

> On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 21:25:44 +0100
> Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> And if your network connection is via wifi, then there actually is an
>> antenna involved as well.
>
> I forgot to mention networking.  It's directly connected by wire.  That
> network wire though is one I had left, it's a 25m long wire that's
> rolled up near the desk to pick up the extra length.  A roll of such
> wire could even be a better antenna I suppose, since circles are an
> antenna configuration of sorts.

A good network cable ("one I had left"?) built for the data rate it is
carrying should not bleed if "rolled up" does not get tighter than its
supported bend radius.  But a long cable like that might require more
power from the network card, and fluctuating power needs often can be
heard by influencing the power supplies.

I am assuming that you are not using RG58 Ethernet (20 year old
technology) and forgot the terminators...

> OTOH, there are so many inaudible waves going on, even in a plain
> house.

Sure.  That's why we need shielded/twisted cables in the first place.

--
David Kastrup