[Ardour-Users] Slice marks makes noise

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Sun Oct 28 14:32:56 PDT 2018

On Sun, October 28, 2018 6:14 am, David Kastrup wrote:
> You could try to change the kind of cross-fade to "Linear" instead of
> the default(?) "Constant Power".  The latter is intended for fading
> between uncorrelated sound sources.
>
> Could Ardour do this automatically if it detected a fade between tracks
> corresponding to a continuing source?

That seems to me just one step removed from compilers that attempt to
detect you are compiling a benchmark and produce special case optimized
code for that.  By that I mean fading a continuing source is so unusual in
real world editing that writing code to automatically detect that case
would have no real world value, and would only be an improvement in
artificial cases like  splitting a sine wave.  The more typical cases of
editing different takes together, editing dialog bits together, etc. would
have natural discontinuities requiring a cross-fade, and all the work
wasted trying to make split sine waves sound OK would be no help for the
real world cases.

--
Chris Caudle