[Ardour-Users] Current best method for multi-band compression within Ardour?

jys junkyardsparkle at yepmail.net
Sun Nov 18 16:13:46 PST 2018

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018, at 19:48, Robin Gareus wrote:

> In the free/libre software eco-system zamulticomp [1] is probably the
> best solution at this point in time. If you're using Linux, it may also
> already bundled with your GNU/Linux distribution via the zam-plugins
> package.

Thanks, just built them (Slackware user here, don't laugh!) and I'm curious about this DISTRHO framework... I'm assuming this is a "legitimate" UI toolkit per the earlier discussion on this list?

> If you're not excluding commercial solutions, Harrison's XT-MC [2,3]
> would be the go to solution. It's bundled with Ardour binaries from
> ardour.org.

Not absolutely excluding, but I do prefer open source, and I probably won't have any driving need to go beyond that in the near future. Definitely won't be going to the extent of wine/VST monkey business. :)

> Calf's multiband compressor may be nice to sculpt some interesting synth
> sounds, but it is likely not very useful for any serious work.

I would describe my use case as usually leaning towards "interesting" more than "serious", since I don't  think of this kind of processing as retaining anything like "fidelity" anyway, and wouldn't be using it where "natural" sound was the goal. That said, I'm curious to A/B the Zam and Calf plugins with similar settings and see what my subjective impression is.

Thanks, all, for the pointers and interesting discussion!

--
jys