[Ardour-Users] GUI toolkit support

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sat Nov 17 13:57:23 PST 2018

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 16:36:55 -0500
Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> > Fortunately, in the Ardour/Mixbus(32C) family the compressors and
> > EQs per track are already built-in.

> Absolutely not true of Ardour.

Hence the use of "family".  Not all family members are alike.

> You're not really understanding the challenge.

> The context switching between the plugin "host" and the actual DAW
> takes time. Actual time. Not very much time, but actual time.

Well, I"ve never did real-time programming.  Closest would be
cooperative using the POE framework in Perl.  Apart from that in a
similar way I was concerned during my years of assembly language
programming of a C stack usage as it added overhead.  But of real-time
programming, none.  Only read about it as part of my work and learning.

Real-time experience ?  Then maybe. In the sense that I run 35+ tracks
in Bitwig using the default 'independent plug-in host process for each
plugin' configuration and it runs OK.

Mind you, this is not symphonic orchestral work.  By this I mean that
35 softsynth tracks are not all playing at the same time.  Some are
just there for incidental sounds, some are playing only in verses or
breaks or choruses, etc...

> For movie post-production, 64 tracks is the bottom end of the track
> count scale. 200 might be common.

No doubt at all that it's a great pride to support that kind of
projects in the industry.  IMHO I find Ardour/Mixbus32C very stable in
what it does and I use 32C for mixing all the time.  BUT, there's
quite a gap between industry projects and regular customers and what I
can see using the type of (outdated ?) machine I have, an i5 at 3.20GHz
with 16G RAM, that gap can be filled by quite an amount of totally
working projects using context switching plug-ins.  Which makes theory
one thing, and practical consideration for a lot of use cases another
thing.

Cheers.