[Ardour-Users] GUI toolkit support

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Nov 15 05:09:57 PST 2018

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 4:00 AM Will Godfrey <willgodfrey at musically.me.uk>
wrote:

> I've been watching the Sonoj Convention vids and there was a comment on one
> about a future version of Ardour not supporting plugin support for gtk, qt
> etc.

Everytime a plugin developers chooses to use a toolkit that cannot be
statically linked into the plugin, it means that the host application will
have to dynamically link the toolkit library when the plugin is used (or
least, when its editor window is opened).

This already causes problems, because it is not possible to have Gtk+2 and
Gtk+3 dynamically loaded inside the same process (the same is true of
various Qt versions).

So already, if there is one plugin using Gtk+2 and another using Gtk+3, the
user is stuck. And in the case of a host written in (e.g.) Gtk+2, it is not
possible to use plugins that use Gtk+3. Extend the example by citing
various Qt versions.

We would like to see plugin developers moving away from the use of such
libraries.

Plugins need to be self-contained blobs of code that rely on nothing except
their language runtime and the facilities offered by the host.