[Ardour-Users] acoustic guitar tone

Axel 'the C.L.A.' Müller axel-mueller-74 at web.de
Mon Mar 5 06:20:20 PST 2018

On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 08:19:55 -0500
jonetsu <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 10:22:58 +0000
> Matt Keys <matt at mattkeys.net> wrote:
>
> > I googled first and the general recommendation seems to be to use a
> > single dynamic mic aimed just forward-left or forward-right of the
> > sound hole, or a single condensing mic about 2 feet away. Is there a
> > rule of thumb for what mic to use and placement of those mics for the
> > tone you're going for? As an example, I would love to have tone like
> > this: https://youtu.be/u7RLjNOael4 . It looks like he's using two
> > condenser mics in opposite phase and maybe the pickup too. I'm lost
> > on the purpose or intention of the components deployed in that
> > configuration. Is he using the pickup because of the harmonics in the
> > piece? Why dual condensing mics?
>
> I'm certain that this sound cannot be obtained with only mics.  This is
> a sound that is gotten very close to the strings.  It's a pick
> up/transducer.  In the live in Berlin there's a wire that goes out of
> the guitar.

Different opinion... ;)

I'm not sure if and how much of the pickup is mixed in, but I think most
of the sound comes from the mics. Though I'm not sure which mic
technique he uses there. Almost looks like M/S, but the perspective
could be misleading. Could also be X/Y or Blumlein (figure 8 might give
some proximity effect and bigger bass response right from the start).

If using M/S there'd also be some freedom to play with the polar
pattern of the center mic in such a setup, I think.

Seems to have quite a lot of compression on that as well - not sure if
single or multiband.