[Ardour-Users] OT Re: acoustic guitar tone

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Mon Mar 5 18:21:36 PST 2018

On Mon, March 5, 2018 7:19 am, jonetsu wrote:
> instrument that sounds bad when played openly without any fingering ?
> Not only it sounds ugly, it does not make any sense at all.  It comes
> from the 16th century or so and was some kind of a solution to some
> problem.

In general the "problem" solved is transposition.  Open tuning is used
commonly in blues, and as far as I know all slide guitarists use open
tuning, but when your open strings essentially make a diatonic chord when
strummed, it is difficult fingering for chords in some other keys.  At
least as I understand it.

--
Chris C