[Ardour-Users] Level needed to be a developer in ardour.

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Mar 1 15:44:01 PST 2018

On 03/02/2018 12:28 AM, anahata wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2018 at 11:11:28PM +0000, Ashley Kitson wrote:
>> Good luck with that one Luis.  It's a bit of a closed shop.

https://github.com/Ardour/ardour/graphs/contributors
(that page only lists contributors who do have github accounts)
Also filing a git pull-request isn't that hard, is it?

> That's a bit unfair, but any developer would need to get up to
> speed on a lot of information before being able to make a useful
> contribution.
>
> There are some pointers at https://ardour.org/development.html (actually
> a lot of information there)
>
> I believe the usual procedure with open source projects is something like:
> - Get the source code
> - get it to build on your own system (not easy, I've heard)

Depends. On Debian GNU/Linux it is easy as `apt-get build-dep ardour`
other Linux distros offer a similar setup.

> - look in the tracker for a bug to fix (there's thousands to choose
>   from!)

or better yet: scratch your own itch: add some feature you miss or fix a
bug that annoys you.

> - send in a patch if you manage to fix or improve something
> Repeat and rinse until you are trusted with write access to the
> repository.

yep, that's how it works with free-software projects.

Also join us on #ardour IRC on freenode. That's where most development
discussions happens.

robin