[Ardour-Users] Skipped notes with Cabbage Audio plugin

Mark Raynsford list+org.ardour.users at io7m.com
Sun Jun 3 08:19:17 PDT 2018

Hello.

I've just used Cabbage Audio [0] to produce a very simple VST plugin.
To try it out, I put together a midi track in Ardour that just plays a
few notes whilst automating some parameter changes. Unfortunately, I'm
hearing a lot of missed notes, and seeing these messages on stderr:

!!!! MIDI event @ 683 skipped, not within range 0 .. 683:
!!!! MIDI event @ 256 skipped, not within range 0 .. 256:
!!!! MIDI event @ 256 skipped, not within range 0 .. 256:
!!!! MIDI event @ 512 skipped, not within range 0 .. 512:
!!!! MIDI event @ 768 skipped, not within range 0 .. 768:
!!!! MIDI event @ 683 skipped, not within range0 .. 683:

Now obviously having not experienced skipped notes in Ardour before, my
first suspicion was the new plugin. However, if I disable (but don't
remove) the plugin, and then add any other instrument (such as
a-Reasonable-Synth) onto the track, that instrument is subject to
skipped notes too. The reason I don't remove the plugin is that I'm
suspicious that the missed notes occur when they're played in
combination with parameter automation, and removing the plugin would
obviously result in the removal of the automation data.

I'm not sure what's at fault here, and I'd like to try to track down
the issue.

This is the test project along with the Cabbage Audio plugin source
file (fm0.csd) and the compiled Linux VST plugin (fm0.so):

  http://ataxia.io7m.com/2018/06/03/fmtest.zip

Assuming a Linux system, it should be enough to put fm0.so into your
VST plugin directory and then open the project in Ardour. It doesn't
have any other dependencies.

I'd appreciate any assistance anyone can give. I'm on Ardour 5.12 from
Arch Linux packages.

[0] http://cabbageaudio.com/

--
Mark Raynsford | http://www.io7m.com