[Ardour-Users] MTC slave mode

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Wed Jul 25 13:14:48 PDT 2018

On 07/25/2018 06:42 PM, biz jnautics wrote:

> There are two additional fields:
>
> The first is
> M 00:00:00:00 (which during slaving, flashes similar values as those
> displayed by the Primary clock display)

This is the most recently decoded incoming timestamp on the MTC input port.

> To the right of that is a second field which also flashes (during slaving)
> with either
>
> '----'  or (a white Delta Triangle icon) and '-4042sm'

that is the difference of the incoming timecode to the current
transport-position (in audio samples); or "------ if Ardour is not
locked or receives invalid data.

Ideally this will be zero (delta +/-0sm).

Perhaps you need to disable

 Preferences > Sync > Sync-lock timecode to clock (no drift comp..)

in order for Ardour to vari-speed to catch up.

Note that Ardour cannot vari-speed while recording. So if the
MTC-generator is not word-click synced there will be drift (non zero delta).

> Are there some additional doc's etc. or can someone tell me whether the
> flashing '-4042' is a good thing or a bad thing? Is there some other value
> that I should be seeing other than '-4042' for example?

Flashing is weird though, as is he red display. That would indicate that
Ardour does not correctly lock and keeps trying.

Are you using jack?  Can you try to lower the buffersize to 512 or less?

Also where does the MTC come from? Is there some other, not MTC, MIDI
data on the same port?

> I presume that 'sm' means slave mode?

samples (1.0 / sample-rate seconds).

ciao,