[Ardour-Users] Ardour using a bluetooth headset

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Jan 17 10:27:04 PST 2018

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 1:15 PM, Gunter Königsmann <gunter at peterpall.de>
wrote:

> My diagnosis, too, would be that I was using Pulseaudio all that time.
>
> But... ...did I understand this right? Jack might be possibly able to work
> with my a2dp headset?

​No, it will not.​ JACK can (more or less) only use ALSA devices. ALSA no
longer supports bluetooth (why not just totally escapes me, it seems one of
the most questionable ALSA changes in years).

It worked for before because mplayer opened the "default" ALSA device which
was PulseAudio's "pseudo-device", and then Pulse routed audio via bluetooth.

​In theory, Ardour or JACK could also open the "default" ALSA device to do
the same thing, but they are more demanding of the device, and in practice
it tends not to work. ​