[Ardour-Users] #ardour IRC channel temporarily unavaiable via web-based access

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Aug 2 08:13:10 PDT 2018

Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> writes:

> There is currently a massive, widespread and long-lived spam attack taking
> place against Freenode, who run the IRC channels we use to discuss Ardour,
> provide support and chat among developers and users.
>
> After several days, Freenode has been unable to stop the flow of spam,
> which comes every few minutes and is at risk of destroying the #ardour
> channel's usability.
>
> Until they have found some way to stop the problem, the #ardour channel is
> being set to require an SSL (Secure Socket Layer) connection, which will
> prevent any access via the web-based interface that this page and Ardour
> itself links to. You can still access #ardour as usual with an actual IRC
> client.
>
> We hope this won't last very long, but it's not viable to have this much
> spam in the channel. I apologize to anyone who uses the web-based access
> method.

Well, good time to configure IRC to use SSL anyway.  I wasn't aware that
I was using plain text.

For Emacs' built-in IRC client, use

M-x customize-variable RET rcirc-server-alist RET

And set the (preexisting?) entry for Server irc.freenode.net to use
:encryption tls and :port 6697 .  Afterwards,
M-x irc RET
[wait 10 secs or so]
/join #ardour

should work fine again.