[Ardour-Users] Ardour Monitoring

Brett Clark bclark4444 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 08:26:24 PDT 2017

Thanks Robin!

Various ways.

> Enable Auto-Input (Session > Properties > Monitoring) and disable "Tape
> Machine Mode" (Preferences > Signal Flow).
>
> That way Ardour will monitor input when the transport is stopped.
>
> The "Disk", "In" buttons on every track allow to select monitoring on a
> per-track basis.
>
> Preferences > Appearance > Toolbar   Show Monitoring Options provides a
> global "All" switch for the Disk/In controls.

Ill give this a try later tonight.  Right now im at my day job - if you
heard my music you'd understand why i also require a regular job  ;)

Ive done some unit testing and i like the 1818vsl, but this Friday my band
is getting together and Ill really run it through its paces.

Thanks again!
--Brett

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 8:56 AM, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Enable Auto-Input (Session > Properties > Monitoring) and disable "Tape
> Machine Mode" (Preferences > Signal Flow).
>
> That way Ardour will monitor input when the transport is stopped.
>
> The "Disk", "In" buttons on every track allow to select monitoring on a
> per-track basis.
>
> Preferences > Appearance > Toolbar   Show Monitoring Options provides a
> global "All" switch for the Disk/In controls.
>

> And now we're getting a bit off topic..
>
> > I tested the Presonus 1818VSL and the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and then
> > decided to buy the Focusrite.
>
> What criteria did you use to make that decision?
>

> I prefer the 1818VSL. Compared to the 18i6, it works more reliable at
> low latency on this system, has a lower noise-floor and latching gain
> knobs that don't wander (I only have one of each, so I can't rule out
> any manufacturing aberrance, maybe I was lucky with the 1818VSL and
> unlucky with the 18i6 -- jnoisemeter is your friend). I also prefer the
> Presonus pre-amps, but that's personal taste I suppose.
>

> > However, hardware monitoring of both
> > audio interfaces is _not_ supported.
>
> The Focusrite Scarlett series has an elaborate mixer interface which
> does support direct monitoring. I can't vouch for the 18i20 but it does
> works fine for the 18i6 and is supported in vanilla Linux since 3.19.
>
> try `alsamixer` (it's overwhelming, all the matrix rounting are separate
> controls, there are some GUI wrappers around it though)
>
> > The devices could be used with Linux, because they are class compliant.
>
> not quite. The Presonus is class compliant, the Focusrite is quirky.
>
> [..]
> > You do not get latency free
> > hardware monitoring for each channel, at best for channels that are
> > routed by default, or if you made a connection with a Mac or Windows PC
> > and the interface is able to remember it. The OP's Presonus doesn't
> > provide this feature, but even if an interface does, it doesn't gain
> > you very much, if the Interface stores the routing done with a Mac or
> > Windows PC.
>
> I don't think that's true for the 1818VSL. Saving settings on the device
> never worked for me, but maybe I'm missing something (the first time I
> connected it to OSX, the Presonus software wanted to do a firmware
> update, I didn't do that. There's anecdotal evidence that newer firmware
> has issues with Linux).
>
> The Focusrite can save mixer-settings on the device for use without PC
> (it's one way save, you cannot query it). The OSX and Windows software
> pushes mixer-settings saved on the PC when the device is connected,
> overriding data saved on the device.
>
> The driver in vanilla Linux does not expose this features.
> Since the ALSA mixer interface does not support push-buttons, the
> original driver exposed it as toggle. In most GNU/Linux distros ALSA
> mixer settings are restored on boot and device-connect and there was
> concern that regular (accidental) saving can wear out the flash storage

--------
God first, family second, and everything else will just fall into place
from there.