[Ardour-Users] No sounds from any MIDI instruments

Paul Coccoli pcoccoli at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 11:07:04 PDT 2017

After creating a MIDI track and adding an instrument (I've tried Calf
Monosynth, Simple Synth, a-fluidsynth with a soundfont loaded), clicking on
the piano roll keys does not produce any sound or meter activity.  Drawing
MIDI notes in the track, then pressing play doesn't either.  Something is
wrong with the internal MIDI routing, and I cannot figure it out.

Everything else is fine in my setup; I can record and playback audio in
Ardour, and I can load Calf Monosynth in the Carl host, connect my MIDI
keyboard, and make some noise just fine.  Somehow I have screwed up
something in the MIDI or track configuration in Ardour.

This is Ardour 5.8.0 on CentOS 7, if any of that matters.  Also, I'm not a
n00b.  I've been ardour and linux audio stuff for at least 15 years.