[Ardour-Users] Very basic question (amplify only the left channel)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jul 16 00:27:04 PDT 2017

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 07:06:32 +0200, Gunter Königsmann wrote:
>Also I assume the two channels not to be closely matched

That's an issue even for manufacturers of professional microphones. If a
customer wants to buy two microphones for stereo usage, the customer
needs to ask for a matching pair.

Large diaphragm microphones could have a membrane on the foreside and
the backside, this allows to chose the directional characteristic
without a break. For a lot of the brand new capsules the membranes of
the foreside and backside don't match, so those capsules already need
to be selected when manufacturing a mono microphone.

In the 90s I worked for a German microphone manufacturer ;),
we were developing and manufacturing microphones. Testing the
microphones is part of the manufacturing, to ensure that the quality
is within the specifications. This was done by listening, not by
measuring. Two microphones never sound absolutely equal and
relatively often there is the need to replace the capsules.