[Ardour-Users] Very basic question (amplify only the left channel)

Gunter Königsmann gunter at peterpall.de
Sat Jul 15 22:06:32 PDT 2017

Thanks a lot for all the Infos! Since Panning really is a Balance tool I
have now used this method and thank you a lot!

On 16.07.2017 04:06, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 03:16:40 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 21:39:02 -0300, Alexdefaria wrote:
>>> The pan trick will work, although you will have to compensate it
>>> giving a volume boost.
>> Maybe after "balancing" increasing or decreasing the volume is
>> required.
>
> You might be surprised about this comment. We neither know the kind of
> microphone, nor the position to whatever sound source.

I just glued 2 Piezos to a piece of PVC (hoping to increase the mass the
acoustic waves work against and therefore to expand the frequency range
below 1 kHz) and threw them into a carp pond. The recording is now live
(https://www.peterpall.de/OutsideSounds/?name=2017-07-16_session.ogg)
and at the end there is no rain so the sound seems to be connected to
something the fishes do. But I still need an idea on how to find out the
characteristics of this makeshift underwater-mike.

> What was the used directional characteristic for the left and the right
> channel? A stereo microphone might allow to adjust the left and right
> channel's directional characteristic individual. The signal might
> interact with additional recorded tracks, or when listening to the mono
> sum even the balance of just the mic could matter. What was too silent
> for one channel? Direct sound and/or ambient sound? It might be
> possible that balance won't help at all. The direct sound might become
> balanced, but the ambient sound might become unbalanced.
>
> Even using individual parametric EQs for the left and right channel
> might do a better job, than using the balance control.

Actually I was a little bit of lost in this point: My microphone clearly
seems to have a resonance at 1.5kHz so I used an equalizer to reduce
that. And it still seems to prefer the high frequencies. Also I assume
the two channels not to be closely matched so the idea with the
individual EQs might be excellent.
But I honestly have no idea how a carp pond is meant to sound at night
or how to determine the frequency characteristics of an
underwater-microphone...

Kind regards,

   Gunter.