[Ardour-Users] Analog synths

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Dec 23 13:38:41 PST 2017

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 14:31:03 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>A recording of a real drum and a recording of a virtual drum are in
>their _substance_ the same thing: a recording of a real drum.

The most exact way to play virtual drums is by using the most advanced
plastic thingy, using real drums and mics to trigger the virtual drums
doesn't work nearly as good. However, even the most advanced plastic
pads can't be played with that much nuances as a real drum set, let
alone that they are visually unaesthetic. I want to see real cymbals
with drill holes to stop fissures, not some clean plastic thingy. I'm
not against digital instruments, we benefit a lot from those
instruments, but I'm against an Gordonjcp instrument eugenics.

Btw. I'm a guitarist just owning transistor based guitar gear. It's not
necessarily bad guitar gear, recording a transistor guitar amp with a
microphone does sound much better, than using a tube amp emulation, but
a real guitar tube amp still surpasses even the best transistor based
guitar gear.

What I own nowadays for free as in beer, by using the digital domain
was and still is unaffordable, if I want to have the same using analog
studio gear. However, I started with analog studio home gear and
worked for professional analog audio and video engineering. Most analog
equipment can't be replaced by digital gear yet, it's just not that
expensive and time intensive to maintain it.