[Ardour-Users] Analog synths (was: Ardour-Users Digest, Vol 167, Issue 13)

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Dec 22 13:53:27 PST 2017

Adriano Petrosillo <ampetrosillo at gmail.com> writes:

>> We don't need analogue synths any more.  They were a shitty solution
>> to a problem we no longer have.  It's better to do it all digitally.
>
> Oscillators may be relatively easy to model.

Sine is easy to do "correct" in the digital domain.  But everything else
is much much more complicated than one would think because of the
interaction with the antialiasing and interpolating filters and the
sampling.

> It's quite hard to recreate the character certain filters have, on the
> other hand. When you push filters into non-linear operation, they do
> not behave as in the textbooks.  Can you do this digitally? Of course
> you can, provided you put in the effort, you have the CPU power to
> model their behaviour well enough, etc.

Again, nonlinearities have large interactions with sampling frequencies
and their interpolating filters.

Even if you want to do this "exactly", it is a whole lot of effort.  It
may be easier to do this in a seriously oversampled domain and apply
low-order lowpass filtering on the signals.

Oh, and seriously?  Never ever ever ever reply to a digest, particularly
not quoting the _whole_ _darn_ _digest_ at the bottom.  Your quotation
of the entire digest will appear as part of the next digest.  And
imagine someone then doing the same?

--
David Kastrup