[Ardour-Users] analog summing

Niko Efthymiou nefthy at nefthy.de
Sun Dec 17 05:25:15 PST 2017

On 17.12.2017 14:06, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 12:35:49 +0000, Matt Keys wrote:
>> I'm not really trying to do anything at the moment other than
>> understand when and why you'd want to use something like the 2-bus
>> (http://dangerousmusic.com/product/2-bus-plus/), or how it is
>> different than for example the stereo main outs of a 16 channel analog
>> mixer? Is the extra 'color' claim completely bullshit?
>
> IOW it most likely is bullshit!

Not sure about that, it seems to do some sort of soft clipping, which
adds distortion. Distortion is still a domain where analog is king.

There also seems to be a transformer inside, these are also notoriously
hard to emulate in the digital domain and they sometimes do good things
(which is always very subjective) to sound.

But yeah, the price seems to be way of into snake oil land... 3.6k€...
You can buy quite a lot of great sounding gear with that money.

Greets Niko