[Ardour-Users] modular synths -- was Re: analog summing

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Dec 22 11:32:13 PST 2017

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 20:14:07 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 20:08:16 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>or regarding handling filters, while playing something stupid
>>"Requiem" from Killing Joke
>
>Or wasn't it a filter, just adding a noise oscillator? I don't remember
>it. However, while the Killing Joke sound indeed isn't that
>fascinating, IOW an emulation could do the same, it could become tricky
>to manipulate emulations live, without making the desired sound
>unpleasant for the purpose. In my experiences, it's easier to control a
>real analog synth, than an emulation.

Oops, nothing at all, just one tone that could be done by an emulation
as well, but when searching for this Killing Joke song, you'll get tons
of results of independent synth bands from that time. And from the same
killing Joke album the "noise" in the song "War Dance" is nice, not
necessarily done with a synth. However, the anlog sound of all
instruments and recordings is incredible for that simpleness.

OTOH there's an add "How To: Metallic Make-up Look für die Festtage!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0VslWm58gE

Most likely done with emulations, but I've to admit the analog sound
satisfies my needs (not the composition ;).