[Ardour-Users] level audio

Anahata anahata at treewind.co.uk
Mon Dec 11 00:17:05 PST 2017

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 05:59:34PM -0800, I. Ivanov wrote:

> the singers are very quiet while on
> others the audio is quite loud. I am trying to use the stereo compressor
> that is made by the Ardour team but I am lacking experience... On some parts
> I created Fader automation that has to go down as far as 25db lower to
> reduce the clapping noise. Is this (Fader automation and compressor) the
> best approach or perhaps there is a better approach?

For systematic variations like music/applause, and for very large changes in
level (e.g. the 25dB you mention) fader automation is best.

A compressor may well be useful too, applied after the fader automation, for
smaller adjustements. Your ears should be the judge of that.

I'm sure you're going about it the right way. There's no clever alternative
that I know of!

--
Anahata
anahata at treewind.co.uk  -+- www.treewind.co.uk