[Ardour-Users] Locate peaks

Brett Clark bclark4444 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 05:33:00 PDT 2016

Also, as a side note:  if you are getting low end rumbling and the only
thing on the track is a talking voice then you could also use a high-pass
filter.  For example if its a low end rumble then you could set the
high-pass at 100hz to remove it.  Depending on where the voice sits you may
be able to set it much higher without effecting sound quality.  I would
keep increasing the frequency until you hear it adversely effect the voice,
then back it off a bit.  Thats something you will have to use
trial-and-error to figure out.

And, like the EQ, put the high-pass *before* the compressor/limiter.  I
would start with my signal chain like this (pre-fader):   high-pass -> EQ
-> compressor

Thanks
--Brett

On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 6:48 PM, jonetsu <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 00:19:48 +0200
> Alf Haakon Lund <alf at mellomrommet.no> wrote:
>
> > So I'll look (more!) into expanders and compressors, maybe with a
> > limiter?
>
> A limiter, which is a compressor with a high ratio a such as 20:1,
> could suited for this task.  A subtractive EQ in this case, placed
> before the limiter could remove some noise, if there is any, before
> feeding it to the compressor/limiter.  A compressor will act on
> anything that is fed to it, so it is quite often a good thing to have
> subtractive EQ before - no boost of any kind, only cutting.
>
> Cheers.

--------
God first, family second, and everything else will just fall into place
from there.