[Ardour-Users] 4-channel stereo

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sat May 21 03:42:30 PDT 2016

On 05/21/2016 11:59 AM, Gunter Königsmann wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I think the answer is obvious. But when I have a digital recorder that
> records 4.0-surround recordings into 2 separate stereo wav files with 2
> channels each - is there a way to import them as a 4-channel recording
> into ardour again?
> I know I can import them as "1 track per channel" and how to make a
> 4-track session. And I can then assign the tracks to speakers using the
> fader. But there has to be an easier way.
>
> Could anybody give me a hand?

Select the 2 (or more) files in the Import Dialog.

If the duration of all files is identical, the "Mapping" dropdown offers
a "Merge" option.
That will create a single multi-channel track, each file a channel.

Then again it may not be what you want. Ardour does not feature 4.0 (or
5.1 or N.M panning). Currently the only built-in multi-channel panner in
Ardour is VBAP.

best,
robin